Why is kitchen appliance maintenance important?
Regular kitchen appliance maintenance can help prevent costly breakdowns, reduce energy costs and extend the life of your appliances. Bundle appliances and save on regular maintenance.*
Why choose Sears for kitchen appliance maintenance?
- Our technicians know all the top appliance brands. We can maintain your appliances no matter where you bought them.
- Sears Home Services has thousands of local repair technicians across the US who are highly trained and skilled to maintain all of your appliances.
- If a technician uncovers problems during appliance maintenance, you can trust our appliance experts for repairs on top appliance brands like Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE, Samsung, Maytag, Bosch, LG and Kenmore.
Our experienced techs will complete all the tasks listed below for $179.99.
Refrigerator maintenance questions
Do refrigerators need maintenance? Yes. The annual checkup and maintenance of your fridge are essential to keep it running smoothly and cooling efficiently.
Cleaning the condenser coils prevents excessive compressor wear and saves on your electrical bill. Your fridge has to work harder to stay cool when warm air leaks into it, and cleaning and adjusting door gaskets prevents warm air from leaking into the refrigerator and freezer.
Keep your refrigerator working efficiently and help it last longer by doing regular maintenance.
How often should refrigerators be serviced? Refrigerators should be thoroughly inspected and maintained at least yearly. You may need to clean condenser coils every 6 months if you have pets. Replace the water filter every 6 months or when the filter replacement reminder lights up on the dispenser display.
How do you maintain a refrigerator?
- Replace the water filter and air filter every six months, or according to manufacturer recommendations.
- Clean the condenser coils with a coil brush once or twice a year to remove dust, dirt and pet dander.
- Inspect, clean and adjust the door gaskets. Adjust the leveling legs if doors aren’t swinging smoothly shut.
- Adjust door alignment to prevent air leaks. Schedule a refrigerator service technician to diagnose and repair your refrigerator if you find problems that you can’t fix yourself.
Dishwasher maintenance questions
Do dishwashers need maintenance? Yes, dishwashers do need care to keep running efficiently. Many dishwashers have filters in the tub bottom that need regular cleaning.
Periodically check for leaks under the dishwasher to prevent expensive water damage to cabinets and flooring.
Check and clear clogs in the drain path to prevent drained water from backing up into the sink and depositing food residue that encourages bacteria to grow.
How often should dishwashers be serviced? Schedule a service technician to examine and maintain your dishwasher yearly. Undetected leaks under the dishwasher can damage cabinets and flooring, and encourage the growth of dangerous mold under the counter.
The technician will thoroughly inspect under the dishwasher for leaks during the annual inspection. The technician will also check for electrical problems inside the dishwasher, because damaged wires and electrical components can be dangerous when exposed to water.
Having a technician inspect the electrical system ensures safe dishwasher operation. Maintaining your dishwasher yearly also helps it clean better and last longer.
How do you maintain a dishwasher?
- Open the door and inspect the door seal for cracks and food deposits.
- Wipe deposits off the door and door seal, and replace the door seal if it’s damaged. Follow the instructions in your owner’s manual to clean the filters inside the tub.
- Check the heating element for cracks and schedule a dishwasher service technician to replace it if damaged. Examine spray arms and clean any deposits blocking spay holes with a toothpick or bamboo skewer.
Oven maintenance questions
Do ovens need maintenance? Gas and electrical ovens need to be inspected and maintained regularly to ensure safe and efficient operation.
For a gas oven, a technician should inspect burners in gas ovens for damage and proper ignition annually, because carbon monoxide emission from the oven can be dangerous if oven burner flames don’t burn efficiently.
For an electrical ovens need inspection and maintenance yearly as well. Because electric ovens use high current to heat their elements, they should also be inspected yearly to ensure safe operation because short in the electrical system can cause electrocution hazards.
How often should ovens be serviced? Schedule annual inspection and maintenance of your oven to keep it operating efficiently and safely.
Having a service technician examine and adjust the burner flames in a gas oven will minimize the risk of dangerous carbon monoxide exposure and fire.
An annual inspection of the components in an electric oven can help prevent electrocution and keep the oven operating efficiently. Schedule a service technician to diagnose and repair the oven anytime it isn’t working well.
How do you maintain an oven?
- Clean the oven regularly to prevent grease spills from causing a fire hazard. Follow the directions in the owner’s manual to use the self-clean feature or manually clean the oven.
- Check the oven door gasket for proper sealing. Reinstall the gasket if it’s loose and replace the gasket if it’s damaged.
- Using an accurate oven thermometer, run the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then check if the thermometer reads between 325 and 375 degrees. If not, call for service.
For maintenance and repair parts you need to keep your kitchen appliances working smoothly and efficiently, order parts from Sears PartsDirect.
*Savings are obtained with the multiple appliance packages vs. the individual regular price of $99.99 each. Tax and all parts and labor for repairs (if needed) are extra.