Updated October 31, 2023.
With small slots and tiny ports designed to distribute gas and control flames, gas burners are challenging to clean—unless you have the right tools and know-how. Removing burned-on spills from burner grates without ruining their finish can also be difficult without the right cleaner.
What Materials Should I Use to Clean My Gas Stove Burners?
Using the right tools always makes tasks easier—and Sears has the perfect tool kit for gas burner cleaning. We recommend that you use the Range Gas Surface Burner Cleaning Kit A03675801 for easier and more thorough burner head cleaning. This burner cleaning kit has:
- Special brush for cleaning burner head slots.
- Ignition port cleaning tool.
- Wire cleaning brush to clean the entire burner head.
Follow the instructions in the burner cleaning kit to thoroughly clean burner heads on your gas range.
Burner Grates and Burner Caps
Use a gas grate cleaner such as the Cerama Bryte Burner Grate Cleaning Kit to safely clean burner grates and burner caps on most gas ranges.
Check the owner’s manual for your range to make sure that using this type of grate cleaner is right for your model of gas stove.
To clean the gas cooktop surface, you’ll typically need a cooktop cleaning crème such as Cerama Bryte Cooktop Cleaner to remove stains and polish the stovetop.
To clean and polish a stainless steel cooktop surface, you’ll need stainless steel cleaner such as Cerama Bryte Stainless Steel Wipes.
Follow the directions in the owner’s manual for your range to safely clean the stovetop surface on your model.
How to Clean the Burners and Cooktop
Once you’ve gathered all of your cleaning supplies, follow the expert tips in this video to clean your entire gas cooktop.
How To Clean Grates and Burner Caps
Allow the burners and cooktop to cool completely before you start cleaning.
- Fill your kitchen sink with about 2 gallons of water. It doesn’t have to be hot water because you’re going to soak the grates overnight.
- Add 3 tablespoons of gas grate cleaner to the water. Stir the water until the granules completely dissolve. This stuff is strong, so wear gloves and avoid getting it on your skin. If you do, rinse it off.
- Completely immerse the grates and burner caps in the cleaning solution and soak them overnight.
- The next day, put on some rubber gloves and drain the sink. Using a scrub brush or abrasive pad (or the scrubber included in the grate cleaning kit), clean softened soil and residue from the grates and burner caps and rinse everything thoroughly. Wipe the grates clean with a towel.
Don’t use this cleaner on enamel-coated grates and burner caps. If you’re unsure which kind you have, check your owner’s manual for cleaning instructions.
How To Clean Gas Burner Heads
Cleaning the burner heads will keep the gas flowing well, so the burners heat evenly.
- With the burner heads cool to the touch, wipe each burner head with a damp cloth.
- Remove food and residue between the burner head slots using the special brush from the burner head cleaning kit. You can also use a toothbrush to clean the inside of burner head slots. To remove stubborn residue, use a paper clip or sewing needle. A small-gauge wire works also.
- Use the wire cleaning brush from the burner cleaning kit to thoroughly clean spills and debris from the burner head.
- Clean the ignition port using ignition port cleaning tool from the kit. You can also use a paper clip or small wire. Cleaning the ignition port ensures that the burner ignites properly.
- Wipe the burner head with a damp cloth after cleaning the slots and the ignition port.
How To Clean the Gas Cooktop Surface
Squeeze cooktop cleaner on the stovetop and rub the cleaner into the surface using a dry cloth or paper tower. Buff the cooktop surface with a dry paper towel to remove cleaner residue and polish the stovetop.
Wipe a stainless steel cooktop surface with stainless steel cleaning wipes. Wipe in the same direction as the grain of the stainless surface. Then, polish with a dry, non-abrasive cloth, removing any dirt, smudges, fingerprints and cleaner residue.
If your appliance has a faux stainless surface, check the owner’s manual for cleaning instructions, because stainless steel cleaner can harm some faux stainless surfaces.
Also test the stainless steel cleaner on an inconspicuous area to see if it harms the surface’s finish, before using it on the entire appliance.
How Often Should I Clean My Gas Stove Burners and Cooktop?
How often you should clean the gas stove burners and cooktop depends on how frequently you use the range and how messy your cooking tends to be.
In general, it’s a good idea to clean your gas stove burners and cooktop at least every other month to maintain their efficiency and appearance.
Clean up major spills on the cooktop as they occur.
Sears Home Services Offers Gas Stove Repair and Maintenance Services
When you need cooktop repairs, Sears Home Services has the best local appliance repair technicians to serve you. We have thousands of range cooktop repair technicians across the US who are thoroughly trained and highly skilled in fixing all types and brands of cooking appliances. Find a Sears technician near you to fix your gas stove quickly. We service top brands such as Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Maytag, Bosch and Kenmore, no matter where you bought it.
To help your appliances last longer and keep the entire stove in top condition, schedule an annual maintenance and cleaning by a Sears Technician.
Annual stove maintenance and cleaning service includes these steps:
- Inspect the electrical system for proper ground and secure connections.
- Visually check readily accessible wiring insulation for cracks and/or peeling.
- Heat check the oven controls for accurate temperatures.
- Check the oven door and door gasket for proper alignment. Make sure the oven door gasket is clean and soft.
- Level your range and make sure the anti-tip device is installed.
- Check and adjust the clock/timer as needed.
- Test the self-cleaning lock mechanism.
- Check the electronic controls to ensure proper functions.
- Test the surface/oven burners/elements.
- Check and clean the oven door gasket.
- Wipe down exterior of the appliance with appropriate cleaner.
Scheduling your appliance maintenance appointment annually ensures that your range stays in its best working order all year round, and will provide you with years of reliable service.
Also, don’t neglect your other appliances. Save money by bundling all of your appliance maintenance and cleaning services through Sears Home Services to keep every appliance in top shape.