Can you really cook a salmon in the dishwasher? Can a dishwasher clean a baseball hat? Find out what popular dishwasher life hacks actually work.
There’s a ton of crazy things you can do in your dishwasher besides just washing dishes — from cleaning it with lemonade to cooking dinner. We’re putting three of the most popular dishwasher hacks to the test to find out which ones actually work.
Does powdered drink mix really freshen your dishwasher? Can you really cook food in there? How about cleaning items like flip-flops or baseball hats? In the latest video in our Hacks Tested series, we’ll test these three dishwasher hacks and reveal the truth!
Hack #1: Using powdered drink mix to freshen and power off mineral deposits inside your dishwasher.
- Open the dishwasher.
- Fill up detergent dispenser with powdered drink mix.
- Shut dishwasher and run a normal cycle.
- TIP! Avoid bright colored drink mix (like blue or red) and try this with a citrus drink mix. We used powdered lemonade.
Hack #2: Cooking salmon in the dishwasher.
- Place the salmon on a square of foil. Season as desired.
- Wrap the foil around the salmon into an airtight package.
- TIP! Make sure there are no openings where water could get in.
- Place salmon on the top rack in the dishwasher and run a normal cycle.
Hack #3: Cleaning a baseball hat in the dishwasher.
- Place hat on the top rack of the dishwasher.
- Run a normal cycle with detergent.
Want even more tips? Check out these dishwasher maintenance tips to keep your dishwasher clean and in good shape.