Watch these helpful videos to learn how you can keep your fridge maintained and clean to last longer, learn how long food actually lasts in the fridge, and more myths we bust.
What’s the best way to store frozen food? Can you eat food with freezer burn? How long does raw meat keep in the fridge? Common misconceptions can lead to trouble with your fridge and freezer — and the food you store in it.
A showcase of our top fridge and freezer videos from YouTube will give you some insider tips and tricks from the experts. Watch these videos and you can help keep your fridge and freezer humming along at peak performance, filled with food that’s fresh and safe for you and your family.
How to Clean Condenser Coils on Your Fridge
There’s one tip our technicians keep recommending when it comes to getting the best performance out of your refrigerator: cleaning the coils. If you do this a few times a year, your fridge will thank you (and work better). Here’s how:
- Unplug your fridge.
- Use your owner’s manual to find the condenser coil.
- Clean the coil using a brush or vacuum — or both for a deep clean.
- Plug the fridge back in.
How to Organize Your Fridge the RIGHT Way
There’s a good chance you’re not putting your milk, eggs, leftovers, meat and other items in the optimal spots inside your refrigerator. Knowing how to organize your fridge can help food last longer and your fridge work better:
- Top shelf: leftovers, yogurt, dips and beverages
- Lower shelves: raw meat, eggs and dairy
- Meat drawer: deli meat and cheese
- Low-humidity crisper drawers,: produce with a skin, including apples, pears, berries and tomatoes
- High-humidity crisper drawers: leafy greens and fresh herbs
- Fridge door: condiments and salad dressings
Maintain Your Fridge: 4 Troubleshooting Tips
Having a heads up about common fridge maintenance problems can save you a hefty repair bill. Best of all, these troubleshooting tips are easy enough for anyone to do. Here are four ways to help keep your fridge running smoothly.
- Don’t block the airflow around your fridge.
- Don’t overcrowd the shelves.
- Inspect the seals for tears, gaps and leaks.
- If moisture appears around the doors, turn off the energy-saving feature. You can turn it back on when the problem stops.
Food Storage Guidelines: How Long Does Food Last in the Fridge?
What do leftovers and houseguests have in common? You should only keep them around for a few days max. But what about other food in your fridge? Here’s how to know when to toss it.
- 3-4 days
Dairy and eggs
- Opened milk: 3-5 days
- Opened cheese: 2-3 weeks
- Fresh eggs: 2-5 weeks
Meat, fish and poultry
- Steaks, chops and roasts: 3-5 days
- Ground meat: 1-2 days
- Raw fish and shellfish: 1-2 days
- Unopened deli meat: 2 weeks
- Opened deli meat: 3-5 days